Friday, November 23, 2007

Good For The Soul


I saw Michael Gungor for the first time in June at the Saddleback Worship and Creative Arts Conference. I was immediately sold. The guy has an amazing heart. He's humble, he's incredibly talented - has a beautiful voice, is an amazing guitar player, writes brilliant songs and has boundless energy.

So when I found out he had an album coming out I knew I had to get it. This is an album I looked forward to receiving for a couple of months and was definitely not disappointed when it finally arrived.

I don't recall any other album lifting my spirit like this one - and that's saying something! This is soul-stirring stuff. I have found myself moved to the core repeatedly while listening to this album on the ipod while jogging in the morning.

The music is pop/rock/worship with great creative production - it rocks where it needs to rock and it broods and hovers where it should with some delicious ambient moments. Some great soundscapes and arrangements reinforce the strength of the songwriting. Lyrically, Michael has taken some themes not often spoken of in worship (as well as some that are) and given them fresh impact.

I love it!

No comments: