Monday, July 24, 2006

Time For Change

Hello friends,

I’m writing this note to let you know about some changes in my personal and work life.

Over the past few months I have been in discussion with the leadership of Riverview Church as we have endeavoured to balance my personal needs and the needs of a growing church. Together we have concluded that the way forward for both Riverview and myself at this time is for me to move out of the key leadership role of the Riverview Worship Team.

For the health of the team, for my own health and that of my family, it’s time for some changes. I’m not leaving Riverview, but will have a change of responsibilities. I will take an extended break of 2-3 months beginning in August and return to a part time Music Director role.

A combination of things have brought me to this point:
• I feel that my battery is flat to the point it doesn’t charge properly and drains very quickly. I need to recharge it fully.
• I need to create space in my life to consider my direction and dreams for the future.
• I have personal goals and direction that have, over time, begun to compete for the energy and attention that my role at Riverview has required.
• The growing and changing requirements of the Worship Pastor role have increasingly moved away from alignment with my gift mix and the things that energise me.
• I’m looking forward to fulfilling further ministry opportunities both locally and around the globe.

None of this changes what it’s all about!
I still believe I’m to lead others in their love for God.
I’ll continue to use my gifts to help others express their worship.
I still want to discover God and bring that discovery to others.
I don’t believe my calling is changing, just my role at Riverview.


The worship team will undergo a restructuring of leadership at the staff level.
The key leadership role of Worship Pastor will be taken on by Paul Morrison. Lisa Gageler will manage most of the day to day running of the team as Worship Director. I will fill the role of Music Director. David Smith and Andrew Hadfield will continue in their roles as interns.

Thank you all for your support over the years. Let’s continue to build the Kingdom of God and build people’s hearts, making His praise glorious! God is Great!

Keep shining!

Mark

9 comments:

*jessix* said...

I'm glad you're taking a well deserved break even if it means we don't get to see you as often...Now you'll get to watch Oprah everyday in your pj's!?!

Zaccles said...

YOUR THE MAN!!!!
Love ya heaps bro!
Zac

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark -- feels like the end of an era, but once again you inspire me with the way you're making a decision that will serve the long-term health of you and your family. If your 3-month break brings you over this way, PLEASE come visit us, I can even set up a show for you! Met a guy called Steve Berg, and his wife Heather, at our church -- they used to be at Riverview, do you remember them? Total God-thing and we're quickly becoming great friends! Riverview's impact on the world is truly significant...

annettetherocker said...

Hey Mark, I really admire you taking this step. I'm excited for you and your family. You have been such a blessing to us and I pray that in this time you will be expanded, blessed and restored by what God has for you.

You are a champ!

Annette.

mark said...

Hey Jono - no special reason should be necessary to write Mark Cullen all over your body! Just go for it. Actually, I'm doing the "Sunday Sess" on the 13th August. See you there...

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark - happy to hear you are putting you and your family first and taking a break! All the best with it! God bless!

Lucas Parry said...

Good on you bro! Blessings on the new journey.

Anonymous said...

Very wise of you to take a break, refuel and re-access before you burn out. (would be difficult to shine...) God bless you and your precious family. He's got mighty things in store for you!

Anonymous said...

"While much is taken, much abides... and though we are not now that strength which in our younger days moved heaven and earth, that which we are... we are.
One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate but strong in will.
To Strive, to Seek, to Find, and not to yield."
- Tennyson.