Friday, August 03, 2007

Brooke Fraser in LA at the Hotel Cafe

On Monday night Bryce (Green) and I went into LA to the Hotel Cafe to see Brooke Fraser play live. What a funky little venue! It's been a while since I've been to a venue like that and when we walked in I thought we might need night vision glasses. It's a small and intimate club where relatively unknown bands of generally a gentler leaning come and play. One band each hour starting at 7pm. The crowd ebbs and flows with the talent. I felt sorry for the guy who was on after Brooke, as the room emptied when her set was done.
Brooke did a great set consisting of Lifeline and Arithmetic from her first album, What To Do With Daylight, and a whole bunch of tunes from her latest album, Albertine. As always she was vocally exquisite and these songs come straight from her heart.
This album is outstanding. Brooke is an amazing songwriter - eloquent and musical, emotive and credible. This CD has stood the test of "endless repeats" in the car. There are not many albums that can go the distance for me, but this one does. You have to get it!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love her stuff, but have to say I like her songs on United & Hillsong more than I like the album. Jess and Bryce already yelled at me for saying that, so don't bite my head off :)

mark said...

Haha... Yeah, I do love her worship songs too, but not more. Her songwriting maturity comes out in the way she has crafted songs about life (which are still mainly worship songs too actually). Whichever way you look at her, she's a magnificent song writer.

garrick field said...

yes, she is good, i can't get over shadow feet - what an album opener! and the thief, brilliant!

Adrian L said...

cool to see so many other brooke fans out there who were also present last monday. hopefully she'll be back in LA soon & often!